Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

OK, we're back!!...

As you are aware we were gone for awhile!!  That would be because of two things: busy and computer crash!!  These darn computers!  Thanks to my genius brother, we are up and running again!  I have lots of things to share with you!  Everything from parent-teacher conferences, birthdays, Nature Center adventures and science adventures!!  Life has been good around here.  Busy but good.  I'll start with sharing my experiences at the last 3 parent-teacher conferences (sorry, no pictures for this one!).  Bubby had his conference awhile back.  His grades were great, a D and the rest A's.  The D was in a class entitled 'Art in Writing' (the teacher created this class).  He is not quite sure what it's all about.  All of his instructers love him (of course), they had nothing but praise for him.  A couple of the teachers expressed some interesting thoughts to me (wrong person to do this kind of expressing with, trust me!)  In his Art of Writing class the teacher discussed how they don't hand out homework to the students.  They are in school for 6 or more hours, plenty of time to work on school!  Perfect statement to a homeschooling MUM of many who believes that the afternoon and evenings should be spent doing family activities, not extending an already long day of school to work on more school that should have been done at school!  His Biology teacher vented about how the educational system does not teach these students to critically think!  She stated they are taught all through their school years to look for the bolded words, not read in between the lines and actually learn something!  I can't tell you how much I was digging on this (okay do they still use the word "digging" like that or am I showing my age?).  Last night was sister K and sister E's conferences.  Again, the teachers had nothing but wonderful things to say about both of them.  For a LONG time I have been discussing with their dad my desires to bring them home to school.  He of course is not going to go for it.    I have expressed concerns about them going into the middle school.  He says it's fine, he's not pulling them.  So, last night at parent-teacher conferences, sister K's teacher says her only concern is Sister K's tender heartedness and entering the middle school!  She said to us and sister K that the elementary school is really a special place and the middle school is tough.  It is so different.  Kids there are so cruel and don't behave anything like they do at the elementary...she said we are babied at the elementary school.  Okay, now the teacher is expressing concerns!!  Do you think he'll listen?  Probably not, we'll see.  Well this was longer than I thought it was going to be so I'll go and get back to work now.  Next to come, a birthday with a cruel twist from mom...



Talk to ya soon!!



No comments:

Post a Comment